torsdag 21 oktober 2010

Would I like to go commercial with my adventure game?

Maybe a peculiar question to ask oneself when I haven´t even got anything to show yet, but it´s still a question every game developer has to consider. And on a blog dealing with game developing it´s indeed very relevant, even if purely from a philosophical perspective.

Short answer, I would say at some point yes - being able to make a living from making games is an old dream of mine. The important question here is do I think I have what it takes to make people want to buy my games? I think yes. I can draw, and I know I can write an entertaining game. But I would give myself a year or so before I take that step.

With that said, I´ve made the decision to take a slightly different path than originally concieved. I was browsing through Dave Gilberts Twitter-page the other day hoping for some inspiration, and he tipped me of a blog that contained the article "15 tips for finishing a game", which was a great read, btw (added to the links). Anyway, I´m postponing "Positronic puppets", and will instead start with a game with a smaller scope.

I will set a clear limit for how big the game can be, and schedule "Milestones", giving myself some reasonable deadlines for achieving them. But most importantly - keep it simple stupid!

No unnecessary animation, simple perspective backgrounds, plan and execute the core of the game first, and then add extra gameplay and eyecandy as time and inspiration allows. This way, I know I will get started, and it will be the perfect way to develop an artistic style, and get into the game engine (I´m still not sure whether to go with AGS or Wintermute).I will be posting weekly updates on my progress every sunday, starting oct 31st.


So, to start things off, here are the restrictions I will work with - no more than:
  • 640x400 (best compromise between 4:3 and widescreen)
  • 10 backgrounds
  • 5 main characters with animating portraits
  • 5 cutscene animations
  • 1 fourway walkcycle
That should give an hour or so of gameplay.

The milestones are as follows:
  • Now - decide on main plot and milestones check
  • 1st week - decide on background layouts and rough sketches.
  • 2nd week - have a clear artistic vision for unified game design, with character concept sketches
  • 3rd week - have a rough script finished, with main storyline and puzzles. Title for the game.
  • 4th week - backgrounds lineart cleaned up, and initial work on character portraits. Announce in AGS WIP-forum.
  • 5th week - rough character walkcycle. Begin incorporating into game engine
  • 6th week - GUI mockup, go scream help on AGS forum to get help realising it=P
  • 8th week - backgrounds finished
  • 10th week- character portraits for dialogue finished
  • 11th week- character walking animation finished
  • 12th week- rough cutscene animation, begin coding dialogue and interaction
  • 13th week- finish up cutscene animation, release short demo and ask for help with music/beta testers
  • 20th week- release final version and relax
  • 52nd week-release commercial deluxeversion with extended gameplay and voiceovers;)
Well, that´s roughly 5 months of work and clearly doable, I think=P In other words I should have a demo up end of january/beginning of february. As you can see, I´ve gone for the philosophy of spending about 60% on the first 90%, and 40% on the last 10%, finetuning, not rushing the final product until I´m satisfied. Now - to the drawing table!

Hasta pronto!

1 kommentar:

  1. Great website, You built up a lot of intriguing suspense around your new commercial game.
    the suspense is killing me, please post link to it or info on it.

    If it's not complete, I think you should still release the incomplete version - you gotta get out there - life is short. If it is
    complete - congratulations, hope you stop by my blog or game site to provide a link to your game or info on where to buy it.

    best wishes.

    SvaraRadera