onsdag 20 oktober 2010

Plastic Animation Paper..

is the name of an animation software that used to be commercial, but is now freeware. It seemed interesting from a first look, and the pro version used to be 695 euros, so color me curious. Needless to say I downloaded and had myself a go. First impressions? A quirky, seemingly non-intuitive interface that took some getting used to. It didn´t help much that the program broke into a spasm as soon as I tried to maximize the window. However, first impressions aside, after going through the excellent tutorials I´m starting to grasp the basics, and the real power of the program becomes apparent. This really is a program best used with one hand on the keyboard. Once you get used to the workflow you´ll be churning out animations in no time!=)
Example from PAP tutorial
Features include
  • Lighttable (or onion skinning)
  • Sound import and playback
  • Blue pen concept drawing
  • Layers
  • Cutouts (Easy moving/rotating/scaling etc of drawings or animation)

NOTE: This is not a paint program! It has basic sketching tools, but that´s it. It´s not really an end all solution, so expect to export your animation into another program (like The Gimp or Photoshop) to clean up and finish your animation. It is however very good at what it does, and I easily envision myself using this as part of my pipeline for walkcycles and cutscenes in the game.

Plastic Animation Paper can be found here! Tutorials here.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar